Monday, September 1, 2014

Cause it's a musical

My latest literary endeavor details the science of music--how our brains react to it, why some people have perfect pitch, etc. The prologue explores the curiosity of music, the fact that it has no easily discernible evolutionary value, yet is so ubiquitous and even necessary for humanity. Why do we love music? Why does it move us so profoundly? Don't expect me to have the answers; I just think it's interesting to ponder.

I'm grateful for music. As much as anyone, it has shaped my life. Many of my most vivid memories are centered around songs. Waking up to Dolly Parton and running downstairs to dance in our pajamas before school. Learning Bible stories while Mom sang the verses of "God Loves a Cheerful Giver". Screaming "na na na na" at the top of my lungs with Tom Duckett at Servant Leadership Weekend. Skillet's "Comatose" album blasting in the car while I drove with tears streaming down my face (on multiple occasions...it's my go-to emotional release). There are songs that will always be associated with specific events in my life, that can make me smile or bring tears to my eyes with just a few notes. Those are some powerful neural connections in the brain that can do that.

When we were introducing ourselves at the beginning of my Wilderness First Responder course, in addition to name, credentials, and why we were there, we had to share our guilty pleasure song--the one we sing at the top of our lungs when no one else is around to laugh at us. Seeing all these hulking EMTs proudly claim Disney songs, Taylor Swift, and One Direction proved that music speaks to us in a way that words alone do not. I can't explain it, but I love it.




No comments: