Saturday, November 16, 2013

Teaching the next generation

I remember feeling a little bit sad when I found out that I wouldn't be working with pediatrics residents at the Network sites. I was looking forward to imparting my incredible amount of knowledge (see: 160-pages-of-content-specs-for-boards) on the world's future pediatricians. Turns out all the peds residents end up in the main ED and as yet there are no urgent care electives. Instead we get medical students. You know, the same med students that were super annoying when I was a resident? They asked inane questions and were worthless and took your computer and your free lunches? And then they expected you to teach them?

Just kidding. (Mostly) I did become invested enough in shepherding the little mongrels that they gave me a teaching award my intern year. Then I graduated to trying to teach my interns something, and they became my little pet projects and punching bags (and the students took a really far away back seat).

Well, fast forward to my big girl job, where it's medical students or nothing. Turns out I like teaching. I know from experience that they will retain about 11.2% of what I tell them, but it's still fun to try. At least most of the time. Hint to any future or current medical students reading this (yeah, right): at least ACT interested. It makes me want to tolerate your presence and maybe even go out of my way to show you things.

Like last night when I was 10 minutes from my shift being over, and I saw a two year old with chief complaint of "arm injury". For all of you who didn't memorize those 160 pages, that means Nursemaid's elbow until proven otherwise. Which just happens to be one of my favorite diagnoses. Easy, dramatic cure which never fails to impress the parents. Since I love Nursemaid's and since my current med student is on the far end of the "interested" spectrum, I grabbed her so she could do the reduction. Her reaction was gratifyingly similar to mine: "That was awesome!"

Did I mention this was after said medical student made a run to Starbucks for chocolate cake pops? I have the best job.

And apparently I'm invested enough in the next generation of doctors that every medical student I've worked with (and three of the residents at the main ED when I was learning the ropes) has asked me to do their evaluation. From experience, that is an honor and leap of faith not bestowed on just any attending, because that stuff goes in the Dean's Letter (aka Your Ticket to Match Day). Not that I care so much about that as I want to be able to give back in the same way my mentors did when they taught me.

Which is why I signed up to be a preceptor to a brand-spanking-new medical student for the next three years. She's so cute--"What are retractions?" I only hope I can do the preceptor experience justice and that by the end she's learned something about taking care of kids. It's a daunting task, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

You are definitely up for the challenge. :-)