Saturday, July 21, 2012

7/20

The events of yesterday have thrown me into unrest. I expected the shock and horror and sadness. These things always make us stop and think. How life is short. How much we have to be grateful for. How we shouldn't wait to do the important things. How important it is to reach out to those who are hurting. But then everyone moves on. I think that's what make me crazy. Thirteen years ago, when the rest of the world had moved on, I would sit in my biology classroom and wonder where I would hide if someone came in shooting. When my college roommate watched "Elephant" and said it was so artistic, I wanted to curl up in a ball or vomit, because it was all too familiar. Whether it's right or not, it hits a lot closer to home when the headlines say Colorado. When I drove past that movie theater every day on the way to school. When I have to wake up to an email from my dad saying everyone is okay. And I know that for those much more intimately involved, it will never go away. And when the rest of the world moves on, or uses this to fight political battles about gun control, or when the next shooting comes, they will still be in pieces. And it breaks my heart, but I don't know what to do besides pray.

Father, send Your angels down to wrap Your children in Your love and protection. Soothe their grieving hearts and lift their eyes to see Your light. Draw us back to You and give us the strength to reject the evil one and his lies. Give us Your peace. Amen.

No comments: