Thursday, November 3, 2011

Residency 2.4: Behavior and Development

Sorry I'm a bit late in posting last month's recap. It was a lovely month in terms of hours--clinic work and such, with a few float in shifts. We had a wide variety of clinics and things to observe--psych visits for ADHD, anxiety, depression; behavioral counseling for toilet training and temper tantrums; playing with kids at a daycare; evaluations for reading delay and IQ tests--all sorts of different things. One of my most entertaining afternoons came in the hearing clinic, where I got to see all sorts of different strategies for testings very young and/or nonverbal children for hearing loss. I also learned a few tricks for when the patient is faking it--not faking that they heard the beeps, faking that they DON'T. Who would have thought I would ever see an 8 year old faking hearing loss? Seriously!

The over-arching sentiment for the month was relief that my family somehow turned out so normal. I saw so many parents at their wit's end from kids who were messed up, and also kids who were debilitated by dysfunctional parents. Maybe I should have had my parents do a B&D rotation when I was in high school, so they could have seen how good they had it!

At any rate, I'm back to inpatient--this month I'm in the Mercy NICU, and got off to a bit of a rough start (don't get me started on my first call shift), but it's getting better.

Also, Happy November! Where is the time going?????

No comments: