Tuesday, November 13, 2007

With Hope

A friend's father passed away last week, suddenly, at 62. I was blessed to be able to attend the wake, even though it broke my heart. I just can't think of any other words to describe the tragedy of losing someone so close. I just ached for my friend, not even able to comprehend how you get on without your dad when you're only 25, to know that he's not going to walk you down the aisle when you get married, to try to somehow make it through consoling all the people who supposedly came to console you. I just prayed so fervently, wondering how much I believed what I was saying, "Thank you, Lord for carrying them through this," wondering how even the strongest faith wouldn't crumble under a shock like that. And selfishly, at the same time, I prayed that no one close to me would be taken soon, because as much as I've grown in my faith, I don't know that I could deal with it. Sometimes I think what makes death so hard is that no one knows what to do or say, and we're too afraid of telling people what we really need because it might be asking too much, and it might hurt if they say no, so we end up all alone in a time when we most need each other. I'm not saying I know how to be there for people, but I wish people knew how to reach each other better. We're so good at getting along all by ourselves.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth. The former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea was no more...I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, God's dwelling is with the human race. He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will always be with them as their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, for the old order has passed away." The one who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." -Rev. 21: 1-5

No comments: